So, are you planning to start your career in web design? Which is currently becoming a huge career field for many like you. So, in this article, you learn 5 best-known steps that will help you to get hired quickly to a web designer job.
In the digital age, many organizations started to invest time and effort in building a dynamic website that will engage and delight their customers. So, it’s a great decision to find a web design job and create a lucrative career as a web designer.
Before diving in-depth, let’s look at a few statistics about why web designers matter to every online business.
- 94% of first impressions related to your site’s web design
- 75% of website credibility comes from design
- 73% of companies invest in design to help their brand stand out from competitors
- 66% of people prefer to look at a beautifully designed website
So, back to your original questions, how to get hired quickly to web designer jobs? According to the companies, there are different job roles or titles for web design jobs. They usually fall into three main divisions such as creative, technical, and management.
Creative Job Roles
- Art Director
- UI Designer
- UX Designer
- Information Architect
- Graphic Designer
- Writer, Copywriter, or Editor
- SEO Specialist
Technical Job Roles
- Project Manager
- Customer Service Rep
- Sales Rep
First, Understand Who is a Web Designer and What You do as a Web Designer?
Mostly everyone assumes that web designers and web developers both are the same professions. But they are not. There are some differences between web designers and web developers as well.
As a web designer, you are more creative and craft the overall vision and plan for a website. Where you less involve using coding to bring a website to life, and more of determining a site’s layout, color palette, fonts, icons, buttons, and visual themes.
I hope now you are clear about who is a web designer. Anywhere online that you see finer details of visual design and get attracted to it, it’s likely a web designer has played a vital role in the process.
Following are your daily tasks or responsibilities:
- Designing web pages or whole websites on the internet
- Designing site navigations
- Mocking up mobile-first and/or responsive websites that seem better on all sizes of screens
- Coding pages or sites using HTML and CSS and/or styling those projects via stylesheets
- web design Project managing, including overseeing teams and/or clients
However, before getting hired quickly to a web designer job, you must satisfy the skills that hiring companies are looking for.
Skills to have to be a Successful Web Designer:
- Layout and navigation principles
- Color and typography
- Visual design
- Responsive/mobile-first design
- Design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch
- Wireframing/prototyping approaches, practices, and software
- HTML & CSS*
Additional soft skills to consider:
- Time management/project management skills
- Client relations/communication skills
- Knowledge of digital marketing, SEO, and social media best practices
You might argue that HTML & CSS aren’t requisite skills for web designers. But companies frequently include them in the hiring requirement process to find ideal team members, i.e. professionals who have a working knowledge of both web design and web development practices.
Furthermore, if the above-mentioned web designer skills are restricting you to attend the web designer job.
We recommend everyone interested in the profession to take a look at our web designer course. It’s perfect for everyone who wants to shine in the website design industry.
Protip: You don’t need any design or coding experience to get started for any of our courses. So, join us now to get that exciting and fascinating career in web design you’ve been dreaming of.
5 Important Steps to take to Get Hired Quickly to a Web Designer Job!
So far you’ve learned the skills to perform your daily activity as a web designer. Once you’ve got the above skills.
The next important question is- What are those 5 important steps to take to get hired quickly to a web designer job and what you should do to impress at the interview
1. Build Your Web Design Project Portfolio, the first step to getting hired quickly to a web designer job
However, it can be your first web designer job to get hired by top companies. So, how can you showcase your web design project portfolio to the hiring manager without job experience?
The point is, there are plenty of ways to put your in-demand skills to good use. Here’s are some examples, how you can get hands-on with programming before you’re officially hired:
- Create a website design for a friend or mock-up a brand redesign for a company you love by applying the web designer skill set.
- Volunteer your programming skills to gain real-world experience and add some interesting projects to your portfolio.
- Build a custom email newsletter for an imaginary campaign.
- Choose freelance work that will help you to build credibility. For this, you can check sites like Upwork and Fiverr for ad-hoc projects.
- Start Getting involved in open source projects. It will put your skills into practice and allows you to work collaboratively with other developers.
2. Have an Outstanding Resume and Cover Letter, the important step to get hired quickly to a web designer job
The next challenge in getting hired quickly to a web designer job is to have an outstanding resume and cover letter that convince the hiring manager. Make sure your resume stands out from dozens, possibly hundreds, of other applicants?
Furthermore, if you’re new into this field never apply to a web designer job without writing a custom cover letter.
Are you more serious about landing a web designer job? then you must tailor your resumé and cover letter to each job you apply for.
Pay close attention to:
1. Web Designer Keywords: For this, you can take important keywords from the job description and optimize your resumé for those exact terms. You may include Design Thinking, willing to travel, amazing user experiences, superior user interface design skills, and up-to-date latest web design trends
Next is your cover letter, before writing it, take time to research the company, notice any trends in the projects they work on or even problem areas. Then, include those observations in your cover letter.
Consider mentioning a personal experience you’ve had with the company, too. The more original, the better.
Protip: Don’t forget to optimize your Online profile because it can make or break your chances of getting a job in web designing. Most recruiters nowadays will search for you online, so make sure you’re making a good impression.
3. Start Applying for Web Design Jobs, the predominant steps to get hired quickly to a web designer job
As you’re new into the field, look for jobs that don’t require too much experience. However, if you have the relevant skills don’t be afraid to apply for it.
There are plenty of job portals to look for web developer jobs. Some of the most popular online portals include:
- Authentic Jobs
- Smashing Jobs
Besides the internet, the opportunity may be lurking in the offline world too. So, don’t be shy about asking your friends or industry contacts if they know of anyone hiring.
4. Build your Online Community
Networking or building your online community can be a great source of support, mentorship, and knowledge exchange area. Here you will get connected with like-minded people who are already successful web designers or someone who has a passion to become a web designer.
So, the next step to get hired quickly to a web designer job is to focus on building a solid community around you and you’ll naturally open up more professional doors.
If you are completely new to the field, networking can seem like a pretty daunting task — but don’t worry. There are plenty of ways to meet fellow developers without necessarily feeling like you’re networking.
1. Take part in a hackathon: This provides you the perfect opportunity to practice your skills and meet new people. So, you’ll easily get talking to people while learning a lot from those around you.
2. Attend tech meetups: It is a great way to explore your wider interests, be it web design, virtual reality, gaming, or something else entirely.
3. Engage in Online community discussion: This allows you to share your work and keep up with the latest industry news while making valuable contacts along the way.
4. Make Real-life networking: Start making genuine and real-world connections with people and, over time, your network (and professional opportunities!) will grow organically.
5. Start Impressing in the Interview, among the main steps to get hired quickly to a web designer job
So, far you’ve gained hands-on experience, networked hard and sent an outstanding resume. Finally, you’ve landed an interview! So what you can do to impress in the interview and get a web design job in hand.
Here, you need to convince the interviewer that you’ve mastered the right skills and can hit the ground running.
At the same time, you need to demonstrate genuine passion and enthusiasm for the role.
Following are the best footsteps to put forward:
1. Prepare yourself for the screening round where you get coding challenge or technical test
2. Before attending the interview, research about the company’s social media accounts or niche. So you can engage and be aware of the key trends and challenges they face.
3. Demonstrate a positive attitude, solid communication skills, and team spirit. This will earn you significant bonus points and help employers to know that you’ll work well with others.
I hope these 5 Best Known Steps will help you to Get Hired Quickly to a Web Designer Job.
Just remember to be passionate about what you want to do and go do it.
If you’re ready to take the plunge, consider the Zuan education Web designing course, where you will learn all the skill sets to create ergonomically viable websites and web apps.
In the meantime, don’t forget to look at our web design jobs that you’ll land after doing a web designing course at Zuan Education.