We all know, in recent times, the e-commerce industry in India is riding the wave of popularity. However, after the novel coronavirus outbreak, the e-commerce industry has instantly increased the economy of the world by leaps and bounds. As many of them started to purchase from online platforms and place their orders online to avoid crowds. On top of all this, the E-commerce sector has opened many doors in terms of career and job opportunities for students after lockdown. That’s why I have written an article for students to make a successful career in E-commerce which is now booming and expanding at a larger rate.
But, before we dive into understanding the Ecommerce career opportunities, let us find out how big the opportunity is and how fast it is growing, and what are the different segments?
The Indian e-commerce market will exceed 100 billion USD by 2022, with online financial services set to grow the fastest.
E-commerce industry can potentially create 1 million+ jobs by 2022
Main Sectors & the Top Companies in Indian Ecommerce
Ecommerce Industry in India is divided primarily into 5 major sectors:
- Travelling and ticketing: In the eCommerce industry, majorly Travelling and ticketing offers the widest scope. Here, online reservation for airlines or railways is the most extensively used facility by customers. Besides, this facility has eliminated the time to stand in a long queue to get a ticket for traveling. This job requires a trained professional who can do website designing and promotions for the firms and offers good salary packages. Some of the top online traveling and ticketing companies in India include Cleartrip, MakeMyTrip, Yatra, Thrillophilia, etc.
- Retail and marketing: There is a rapid rise in retail and marketing. If you have noticed, due to lockdown People who are unable to go grocery shopping or the grocery shops near their homes are either closed or have limited supplies so no supplies go towards online grocery businesses. It saves time as well as saves a lot of expense for the seller and buyer. Moreover, this creates a lot of job opportunities for experienced as well as fresh candidates to kick-start their careers. Some of the top Retail and marketing companies in Indian eCommerce include Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, and BigBasket.
- Online Education: Moreover, in the coronavirus lockdown, Online educational websites and apps are on boom. Where students are having their regular classes online, office meetings are being held through various online apps. This allows employers and employees to stay in touch through them. Such websites offer job opportunities to candidates who have an interest in teaching and counseling. A candidate can be an online tutor or career counselor by catering solutions to academic problems. Some of the top Online education companies in India include Udemy, Coursera, Khan Academy, and Byju’s.
- Classified portals: Multiple classified portals that help customers in getting a relevant job they apply. Here, the person needs to update his/her profile online, and if the employers think they are fit for the job, the employers will get connected with the person personally and conduct interviews. Some of the classified portals include Naukri.com, LinkedIn, Indeed.com.
- Hyperlocals: Hyperlocals is the most modern trend in the e-commerce business. It is a combined use of GPS technology and mobile apps. Students can get many job opportunities in this field in the future. Some of the Hyperlocals in Indian eCommerce include Grofers, PepperTap, Swiggy
The important point to note: In India, Retail e-commerce sales are the fastest-growing sector with a CAGR forecast of 17.8 from 2019 to 2023. Which is much higher than compared to other countries.
List of E-commerce Job Opportunities:
Ecommerce has opened a range of job opportunities across the spectrum of skills. So, the students who are interested to choose e-commerce can begin with five career paths:
- Creative- It involves the product look & feel, customer experience, marketing, branding, etc.
- Operations– It involves the supply chain, category management, logistics, warehouse & inventory, etc.
- Financial– This field involves legal, accounts, HR, and financial prospects of a business.
- Technical-To pursue in this field, you must have some technical skills and this involves IT consultant, web developer, technical support as a front end, and back end executives.
- Marketing-This field involves a direct connection with the customer and it includes Marketers, business analysts.
Hence, by choosing the eCommerce industry, you have a bright scope in terms of career opportunities.
Here, you get opportunities in digital marketing sectors such as social media marketing, mobile marketing, email marketing, e-commerce, content marketing, search engine optimization SEO, web designing, display advertising, data analysis, SEM, and customer relationship management (CRM).
All these jobs can be done using various social networking tools through the internet.
On top of all this, if you want to become a future business owner and wish to start your own eCommerce business.
Magento is a leading and popular user-friendly eCommerce website development platform that comes with excellent features, user-friendly navigation, commendable structure.
To be pointed, the workforce behind the premier eCommerce website hosting platform that makes Magento stands out from other eCommerce platforms
Furthermore, it also offers the ease of adding flexible coupons, ad banners, and pricing features that enable the website to work exceedingly.
Today, there are almost 299.24 million people in India who use mobile phones, and they also use mobile phones to place their orders via mobile. Hence to start your own online store, you cannot deny the power of Magento for eCommerce websites.
Therefore, if you’re interested in starting your eCommerce business, start learning Magento to leverage all its benefits.
Moreover, learning Magento from the leading Magento training institute, you can also become an expert in Magento eCommerce web development and get hired by top companies along with the Magento certification.
Some of the popular brands that use Magento eCommerce CMS include Coca-Cola, Samsung, Nike, Ford, FoxConnect, Lenovo, Olympus, Warby Parker, Men’s Health, Vizio, Nestle, and million others – from medium to small commercial enterprises.
Academic Requirements to Start your E-commerce Career:
The E-commerce industry has such a wider and bright scope that every field has its own academic requirements. Below are the field wise eligibility and skills required to start your eCommerce career.
For Artistic Field:
To start a career as a Product Designer in E-commerce, you require a Bachelor/master’s degree in Design or fine arts.
The basic skills you need to have is UI/UX front and creative designing skills
Here your job role is to provide inputs in UI / UX front and designing wire-frames, color blends, photography, etc.
For Operation Field:
To start a Management career in eCommerce, you must have a bachelor’s degree in technology + MBA, Bachelor in Mass Communication.
The basic skills you must have to be a good content manager are excellent Writing skills.
This requires you to better understand the product well and provide the best content that could be understandable by anyone.
You can also become a Product Manager, here you should Manage and govern the whole product lifecycle.
Furthermore, you must also interact with all stakeholders starting from SCM, finance, marketing, vendors, logistics, etc.
For Financial Field:
To start your finance career in E-commerce, you must have a degree in B.com + MBA (Finance), C.A.
The basic skill you must have is the Knowledge of all financial sectors to interact with stakeholders, marketing, logistics
Here, the finance roles remain the same as in any other industry, but a major focus is on payments.
For Technical Field:
To start your technical career in eCommerce as a product developer, you must have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, an MBA that adds more value to the field. Furthermore, doing certification in programming is an added plus.
The basic skills you must possess to be a product developer in E-commerce is Software skills and Technical skills.
So, if you’re a coding enthusiast, then this role is for you. Ecommerce companies work in some of the best cutting edge technologies like mobility, 3D presence and it requires you to have coding experience.
For the Marketing Field:
To start your marketing career in eCommerce as a marketer, business analyst, and supply chain. You must have a Graduate + MBA in Marketing, Retail/ SCM.
The basic skills you must have is Experience in various marketing strategies.
This role is one of the most important roles for the eCommerce industry, as these job roles have a direct connection with the customer.
As a business analyst, you need to understand the business / Consumer needs properly and articulate it in the most comprehensive way.
Some of the Top Recruiters in the E-commerce Industry:
The Average Salary for E-commerce Jobs:
“Mid-level E-commerce workers are now earning as much as senior IT employees.”
In India, freshers in the e-commerce industry can even expect an average salary in the field of e-commerce ranges between Rs.2.5 to 4 lacs on an annual basis.
Moreover, if you start your eCommerce business through Magento, then your annual turnover will be like other employers and not as employees.
Furthermore, as an employee, your salaries will vary depending upon the company, and the position you hold in your working field.
With the advanced skill sets, good experience and a good educational degree in this field can easily help you to earn a handsome salary package.
On the whole, the E-Commerce industry is expected to grow into a 100 billion USD market by 2022. Moreover, it offers good opportunities to job seekers as well as for future business owners with a bright future.
If you do decide you want to start an eCommerce store today, but no idea of developing a user-friendly eCommerce website? Don’t worry, there are many eCommerce website development companies that support you to sell your products online and skyrocket your local business at less cost.
On the other hand, if you’re more serious about starting an eCommerce business and focusing on long-term profits.
Then you can check out our Magento Course Training that is designed in a way to provide knowledge and skills to become a successful Magento developer and start building both small and large eCommerce websites of your own.
Wishing you all success!