Digital Marketing is a field offering new scope and challenges. Nowadays, most of the fresh graduates and entrepreneurs have questions that “How should I prepare for my first digital marketing interview?”, “Which are the top digital marketing questions?”, and “Where can I find the best article for Digital Marketing interview?.”
Don’t worry; we understand that your requirement and excitement to enter into the Digital Marketing field. Here, we provide a list of top interview questions on Digital Marketing.
Besides, we know your eagerness to get onto the online marketing band-wagon. And, you are all set to attend a Digital Marketing Interview. We offer a list of digital marketing interview questions and answers. These digital marketing questionnaires will be helpful for both freshers and the experienced candidates.
The purpose of reading this blog is to,
- Get interview questions on digital marketing along with specific answers.
- To know the analysis-based questions.
- Have a knowledge of the common questions asked.
- Relevant questions for all types of roles in Digital Marketing.
1.What is digital marketing?
Digital Marketing denotes any marketing activity done online. It points to brand marketing tactics done through internet. Besides, it involves techniques like,
- SEM(Search Engine Marketing)
- SEO(Search Engine Optimization)
- SMM(Social Media Marketing)
- Web Analytics
- Email Marketing and
- Content Marketing
2.How is digital marketing classified?
Digital marketing is of two types,
- Inbound Marketing
Inbound Marketing sells products and services through practices such as,
- SEO(Search Engine Optimization)
- SMM(Social Media Marketing),
- Content Marketing and
It creates awareness of the company and services to the customers.
- Outbound Marketing
It is a traditional method of marketing. It targets potential clients. In addition, it covers activities such as,
- Trade shows
- Placing ads in a newspaper
- Radio Ads
- Seminar series and
- Cold calling
3. Describe what is on-page and off-page optimization?
On page optimization makes websites stand out in search engine rankings. On-page, optimization is changes done on a live web page.
Off-page optimization is changes done to a website offline. These changes result in positive search engine rankings.
4.What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is a technique to increase the quality of traffic to your website. This is possible through organic search engine results.
5. What steps should be taken if your ad gets disapproved?
If your ad gets disapproved, analyze the reason for disapproval. Solve the issue. You have to wait for the approval status after editing.
Get expertise in search engine optimization and become a job ready professional with our SEO training courses.
6. Explain what is keyword streaming?
Keyword streaming means analyzing the related keywords and pick the best keyword for the website based on its target, in order to generate organic traffics and leads within the keywords.
7. Mention some of the useful Digital Marketing tools?
Some of the useful digital marketing tools are,
- Sprout social
- Google Analytics
- Google search console
- Google Adwords
- Google Trends
8. What are the areas to utilize your keywords to optimize website ranking?
For better ranking, you have to place keywords in the following,
- Website Title
- Meta tag
- Website URL
- Headings and
- Web page content
9. What is Google Adwords?
Google AdWords is an advertising service built by Google. Businesses use this to display ads on Google and its advertising network. It is the single most famous PPC advertising system in the world. It allows businesses to set a budget for advertisement. Payments happen upon people clicking the ads. Advertising service focuses on keywords.
10. Name some Google AdWords ad extensions?
- Call extensions
- Callout Extension
- Promote extension
- Structured snippet extension
- Sitelink extension
- Affiliate location extension
- App extension
Learn Google AdWords in our Pay per click course and get certified to become a PPC pro!
11. How can you improve conversion rates?
In online marketing, the conversion rate is the ratio of total visitors to the visitors who perform desired actions. Internet businesses measure successful conversions differently.
It relies largely on the nature of their business and goals. Increase in conversion rates is achieved by testing different site elements, especially on a landing page. You can also experiment with layout, functionality, and style on landing pages.
12. Explain what is a responsive web design?
Responsive web design is a relatively new approach to website design that makes web pages perform well on a variety of devices like desktop, mobile, and tablet. It ensures users have a great viewing experience no matter the device they are using. The practice consists of a mix of flexible layouts, grids, images and use of CSS media queries.
13. What do you know about AMP?
AMP(Accelerated Mobile Pages) is an open-source library that gives a straightforward way to create web pages that are compelling, smooth, and load near immediately for users. AMP makes it easy for publishers and marketers to build mobile-friendly web pages. The goal of Google’s AMP project is to create this new standard that will benefit all of us. Moreover, it is supported by different platforms, and it’s more compatible across all browsers.
Also Read: All you need to know about AMP
14. What qualities should an effective PPC contain?
The effective qualities are,
PPC is iterative. So the keyword list needs to be growing and adapting.
List out the targeted keywords.
Apart from the most essential keywords, it should cover the “long tail of search.”
15. What constitutes “toxic links”?
The following constitute toxic links,
- The spammy links from blogs
- The links from websites non-indexed in Google
- Paid links
- The links from low Page Rank and Low traffic
- The links from websites that are irrelevant to your sites
- The links from link exchanges
- A link from the same anchor texts coming from various websites
16. Can you tell us what is the best way to get a natural backlink to your website?
If your website is newly launched, the opportunities of getting fast and natural links are not possible. But, one common way to get a natural backlink is to write guest posts on reputable websites in your niche. It is quite important that you must do it only for reputable websites.
17. What should one do to avoid penalty?
In order to avoid penalty,
- Avoid stealing images or text from other domains
- Don’t link to any other website with bad page rank
- Avoid re-directing users to another web page through refresh meta-tags
- Avoid using words like “link,” to hypertext and give a link to your website
18. What are the key elements to optimize the conversion rates per PPC?
The key elements to optimize conversion rates per PPC is,
- Keep high degree of relevance between advertisements and similar landing pages
- Write compelling content on your website relevant to the keyword
- Review the design of your landing page. It should have the right color combination, GUI, and layout.
- The web page should have an easy registration process. And of course, sign up for a newsletter.
19. What is the effective way to improve traffic to your website?
To effectively improve traffic, focus on referring links and SEO. It helps gain visitants and brand recognition. However, the most important factor is to focus on user retention.
Here are few more SEO tips you can follow:
- Create memorable content
- Do keyword research & optimize
- Write guest posts
- Publish ads in social media pages
- Send email newsletters
- Get influencer outreach
20. What is the difference between branding and direct marketing?
An advertiser exposes his brand on major sites and applications. This reaches a large audience. Some popular methods are,
- Custom Ads
- YouTube ads
- Remarketing and
- Display ads target
The advertiser shows interest to communicate with the target audience. The most common campaigns are,
- Dynamic search ads
- Shopping Ads
- Search Network Only
21. What is Google AdWords Re-marketing?
Google AdWords Remarketing is a targeted marketing strategy. It assists marketers to reach people who visited their websites but didn’t make a purchase. Re-marketing helps in targeting right people with the right ad.
22. How do you evaluate the PPC landing page is good & attractive?
A landing page is evaluated by the following elements.
- Powerful Headline
- A Form to Capture Information
- Clea Call to Action
- Trust symbols
- Supporting Images
23. How do you stay updated with latest Digital Marketing trends?
Digital Marketing is a dynamic and evolving field. it is important to stay updated with blogs, books, and webinars. Stay updated with latest trends in digital marketing through MOZ website.
Gather information on SEO and SEO keywords. Find out blogs on digital marketing. It is good to consult an expert on all of these. In addition, read blog posts of Neil Patel on digital marketing.
24. What are the activities used to promote Digital marketing?
Activities to promote digital marketing are,
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Content Marketing
- eCommerce Marketing
- Social Media Marketing and
- Email Marketing
25. What is the meaning of “keywords” in digital marketing? What is it’s importance in SEO?
Keywords are entered into a search engine to find relevant information. Keywords are important for SEO and better page ranking. The way you place keywords reflects in your page ranking.
26. Which is important: the engagement rate (or) the followers/likes?
A high engagement rate is an excellent sign that your followers listen to what you ought to say. This is mainly important for brands that may want to introduce their products to the audience. Therefore, the engagement rate is better than the followers/likes.
27. Name some digital marketing channels?
Multiple channels promote digital marketing. Some multiple online marketing channels are,
- Affiliated Marketing
- Display Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Search Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Social Media
- Social Networking
- Online PR and
- Video Advertising
28. What are Search Engines?
Search engines find the accurate and relevant information through World Wide Web. Some popular search engines are,
- Wolframapha and
- Internet Archive
29. What is PPC?
PPC stands for Pay Per Click. It is an advertising technique to direct traffic to websites. It is even known as Cost Per Click. Advertisers pay the website owner when the ad is clicked. In other words, it is the amount spent to get an advertisement clicked.
30. What the key metrics to measure the success of paid search campaigns?
The success of paid search campaigns by following metrics.
- Quality Score
- Click-Through Rate(CTR)
- Conversion Rate
- Cost Per Conversion
31. What is Google Adwords?
Google Adwords is the most famous PPC advertising system in the world. It follows the Pay Per Click model. Google AdWords facilitate the creation of ads that appear on Google search engine and their other properties.
32. How Do You Write A Great Call To Action?
Call To Action should be quite simple and very clear. Here are the tips to create a perfect call to action.
- Use action-oriented text
- Make your button text large and legible
- Try using the first person
- Keep it short
- Create urgency
33. Mention the use of anchor tag in SEO?
The anchor tag is an important feature in Search Engine Optimization. It is used to make clickable text written on a hyperlink. It helps to create a link with relevant text on website/blog or a web page. It also refers to other links to your site. It is referred to as backlinks.
34. What are some techniques of Black Hat SEO?
Some techniques of Black Hat SEO which should be avoided to stay above board in Google is,
- Keyword Stuffing
- Content Automation
- Doorway Pages
- Hidden Text or Links
- Doorway page
- Article Spinning
- Rich Snippet Markup Spam
- Automated Queries to Google
35. What is a Webmaster Tool?
Webmaster Tool is a free service by Google. It provides free data indexing. It points out crawl errors. In addition, it provides search queries and back-links information. It points out to website malware errors. It enables to submit the XML sitemap.
36. Can you tell us why do you take a competitive analysis?
Competitive analysis is a quite essential part while preparing a marketing plan for any business. It is recognizing the competitors and appraising their strategies to discover their strengths and weaknesses corresponding to those of your own service or product. With this analysis, you can establish your USP (Unique Selling Proposition) and consequently decide on what attributes you can focus on to entice your target market.
37. What do you mean by Spider?
Most of the search engines use programs called spiders to index websites. Spiders follow hyperlinks and collect textual and meta information for search engine databases. It may rate the content being indexed to help the search engine determine relevancy levels to a search.
38. Can you mention some PPC management tools?
- Keyword planner
- Adwords Editor
- AdWords Wrapper
39. What is cloaking?
Clocking is a technique used in Black Hat SEO. It enables to create two different types of pages, where the page content is presented to search engine spider.
40. What is the difference between SEO and SEM?
SEO enables your website to appear in search engine result pages (SERPs).
SEM is search engine marketing to purchase a space in search engine result page.
41. How would you improve the Pagerank of a page?
The Pagerank of a page improves by building backlinks. It is done through authority sites and high ranking web pages.
You can follow these suggestions to improve your page ranking:
- Publish Relevant & Authoritative Content
- Update Your Content Regularly
- Build a link-worthy website
- Use alt tags
- Share your content in social media
- Optimise for speed
42. What do you mean by 301 redirects?
A 301 redirect is a process of reporting web browsers and search engines that a web page or site has been permanently moved to a new location. A 301 redirect includes the address to which the resource has been moved.
43. How should you decrease the loading time of a website?
The following ensures reduction is the loading time of a website,
- Use external style sheets
- Use fewer images
- Optimize images and reduce the file size without affecting the quality of the image
- Use CSS sprites to reduce HTTP request etc.
44. What is robots.txt?
Robots.txt is a text file which is used to provide instructions to the search engine crawlers. The instruction is on the indexing and caching of a web page, domain, directory or a file of a website.
45. How do you find conversion tracking in Google Ads?
- Log in to Google Ads account.
- Click Tools, then select conversions from the drop-down menu.
- In the conversions table, identify the conversion action you need to check in the “Conversion” column, then see the “Tracking status” column in that corresponding row.
46. How should you use social media as a tool for customer service?
Social media is a great tool for customer service. You can directly converse with the client. You can use analytics for their response. You can get influencers for greater interaction.
47. How do you improve the quality score of an ad?
A quality score of an ad depends on the relevancy of keywords, ads, and quality of the landing page. Use keywords relevant to the landing page and create ads accordingly.
48. How do you use social media for marketing?
Social media can be used to drive traffic and expose brands. You get leads by posting quality posts and images. You can be in various groups and comment on posts.
You can engage in paid marketing on Facebook and Linkedin. You can use Facebook marketing to boost the post, increase page links, website visits, etc.
49. Mention how do you use Twitter for business development?
The power of Twitter lies in hashtags. You can drive massive traffic to your site by using trending hashtags.
50. What is PPC Advertising?
PPC Advertising is an online advertising model. Advertisers can display their goods or services for ads. Advertisers charge only when a user clicks on their ad. Therefore, comes the name “pay-per-click.” (PPC). It can also be called keyword advertising.
51. How does PPC work?
Pay-per-click(PPC) marketing utilizes search engine advertising to generate clicks for the site. In a PPC campaign, we pay Google to have them list ads for our site. By clicking our ad the user gets the current Cost Per Click (CPC) from our budget.
52. What is Email marketing?
Email marketing utilizes electronic mail for advertising. You win customer confidence by building their trust in you. It encourages ‘repeat business.’
53. Define CRM?
CRM (Customer Relationship Management) is a way to maintain and manage company’s relationship with clients. It refers to practices, strategies, and technologies that companies use to maintain customer interactions and data during the client’s lifecycle.
This also supports customer retention and sales growth. CRM systems compile information on customers across different channels. CRM systems can provide detailed information on consumer’s personal information, purchase history, buying preferences and other concerns.
54. Is Social Media Marketing suitable for B2C Or B2B businesses?
Social Media Marketing is important for both. But has different approaches. B2C businesses can concentrate on light-hearted and fun social media posts. Whereas, B2B businesses use social media to share valuable industry content. Therefore, as a tool for connecting a business with its customers, social media is essential for both B2B and B2C.
Enroll with our social media training courses to leverage your marketing skills and become an expert social media marketer!
55. Is outreach an essential part of social media marketing?
Guest blogging is one of the most powerful methods of outreach, but social media can help your outreach efforts significantly. Accordingly, connect with other influencers in your industry through social media, and then create relationships with them through conversations and assisting them to promote their content.
56. How would you use LinkedIn for marketing?
LinkedIn has over 467 million users. It is an excellent place to share our credentials with the world. It’s the ideal place to communicate with your audience online. Through LinkedIn Groups you can answer questions and participate in discussions. Besides, you can exhibit your industrial leadership.
57. Is YouTube important for marketing?
Videos are becoming important in the world of social media marketing. YouTube gets over 4 billion views per day. Promote your brand image with the help of videos. This enables the customers to have a better picture of your business.
58. What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing aligns business and customer information demands with relevant content. Quality content can attract, retain and convert a targeted audience. Through blogging, social media and eBooks, content marketers use a variety of tactics to consistently inform and convince their clients. Content marketing is used by small and large-scale businesses.
59. How important are keywords in Content Marketing?
Keywords are essential for content marketing. Without keywords, content marketing is impossible. Keywords play a vital role in SEO and Content marketing. Without keywords, you cannot get the expected ranking and traffic. In addition, without the right keywords in your content, your clients will never be able to make it to your web page.
60. Can you tell explain some general tips for social media success?
- Be Creative.
- Post consistently.
- Let your passion and personality shine through.
- Engage in conversations.
- Encourage audience engagement.
- Provide valuable content.
61. How do you measure social return on investment?
Analytics supports us to learn how social media posts are working. The fundamental rules are same such as, likes, clicks, shares, etc. We can use conversion measurement tool on Facebook and Optimized CPM.
62. What do you understand by Quality Score?
Quality Score is an evaluation of the quality and relevance of your keywords and PPC ads. It is calculated for each keyword between 1 to 10. Quality Score defines the quality of keyword compared with Ads, Ad text, and Landing Page.
63. What are the factors that affect Quality Score?
Factors that affect the Quality Score are,
- CTR (Click Through Rate) of the Keyword
- Relevance of Keywords and Ads
- Landing Page Quality
- Historical Account Data
64. What kinds of business use affiliate marketing?
All eCommerce sites, like Amazon, eBay, etc.
65. What are the main pillars of affiliate marketing?
The main pillars of affiliate marketing are,
- Customer/End User
- Network/Offers for Affiliates
66. What is the role of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) in digital marketing?
SEO is one of the main activities in digital marketing. SEO is mainly used to drive traffic to your website. It helps in increasing the visibility of blog, site or pages in bing, Google, and Yahoo. In a nutshell, it gets your ranking on the first pages of search results.
67. Which form of marketing is best: PPC, SEO, or Digital Marketing?
PPC and SEO are a part of Digital Marketing. SEO, PPC, display media and content marketing are the strategies used to achieve goals like productivity, etc. You cannot do PPC or SEO without content marketing tactics. Generating more traffic is a vital point.
68. What do you think about market automation tools?
We require a variety of marketing tools to engage with our customers. We need to get connected with a number of tasks to increase the Return on Investment (ROI). Some of the scalable tools to generate leads are,
- Constant Contact
69. Why is online marketing preferred over offline marketing?
Online marketing is preferred because information about any product is easily available. Also, one can get in touch with clients immediately and provide feedback. It is also simple to make corrections in campaigns.
70. What is needed for an effective PPC campaigning?
The following are needed for an effective PPC campaigning,
- Split Ad Groups
By splitting your ad groups into smaller and more related ad groups, you can increase the CTR.
- Add more PPC Keywords
By adding numerous keywords that are related to your business, you can expand the reach of your PPC.
- Improve landing page
To align with specific search queries change the content and call-to-action in your landing page.
- Add negative keywords
To raise campaign relevancy, add negative keywords.
- Review expensive PPC Keywords
Analyze rich and under-performing keywords. Try to avoid them
71. What are the primary models for determining PPC (Pay-Per-Click)?
The primary models are,
- Flat rate PPC
Flat Rate PPC is where the advertiser and publisher (search engine) agree upon a fixed amount that will be paid for every click. The publisher has a rate card for PPC plan based on various areas of their website. The amount differs as per the content that attracts more or fewer persons.
- Bid based PPC
Here, the advertiser plays with other advertisers in a private auction hosted by a publisher. The dealer will inform publisher for the highest amount of bid he is willing to pay. The common practice among bid-based PPC websites such as Google AdWords is to charge more than the next most significant bidder.
72. Can you tell us how can you boost Facebook reach?
To increase reach on Facebook are:
- Buy some ads
- Improve your Facebook EdgeRank
- Stop using 3rd party tools
- Keep building your own Website and Email list.
73. Define what is a keyword in digital marketing? How is it important?
A keyword is a word or phrase, potential consumers use in an internet search. Keywords are significant for every business website as they drive targeted web traffic to your business.
74. How should companies measure their Social Media Marketing Success?
Success is measured by utilizing the same metrics you use for any other advertising activity: traffic, leads, and clients. Counting the number of followers you have can help you know your social media reach. The bottom-line that defines success is how many people it drives to your website, how many of them are qualified leads, and how many of them actually become consumers.
75. How to write a perfect marketing email?
When it comes to writing a great marketing email, you should comprehend the following tips in the bodies of your emails.
- Use actionable language.
- Align your subject line copy and email copy.
- Establish relevancy.
- Talk about benefits, not features.
- Explain brief.
- Use actionable language in your call-to-action.
76. What do you know about Whatsapp marketing?
Whatsapp marketing is a new way of marketing, where digital marketers make use of the multiple functions given by WhatsApp to reach the potential and clients. WhatsApp marketing platform is the most favored platform marketers and advertisers as its a mean of a private channel for content & message share. It promotes multimedia content so you can share videos, brochures, audios, links, catalogs, and any kind of business related information by WhatsApp. It also provides real-time direct communications with your consumers, employees or audiences.
77. Explain what are the elements of a viral video?
Viral videos can have some of the elements necessary to make viral.
- A video should be entertaining and informative.
- Make the first 20 seconds of your video compelling enough for the audience to stick through.
- Time relevance must be observed as it encourages the campaign’s viral potential.
- Know your Audience in terms of their likes, dislikes, emotional attractions, culture, etc.
- You need to use some catchy lines or phrases and your video should be short & to-the-point.
- Create an attention-grabbing and compelling title with relevant tags to include widely searched key terms
- Broadcast your video to the influencers, journalists, and bloggers for whom it is most relevant to.
78. Which KPIs would you use in Social Media reports?
KPIs (key performance indicators) should be linked with the business goals and objectives. There are numerous KPIs should be used in a Social Media report.
- Number of active fans/followers
- Number of likes, comments, and shares
- A number of brand mentions.
- Traffic data.
- Social connections.
- Video/SlideShare views, etc.
What do you know about Viral Marketing?
Viral marketing is a business strategy which uses existing social media networks for promoting a product. This helps to spread information about products to consumers using their social networking.
What are the top 5 ways to increase traffic for a website?
The top 5 tried and well-defined methodologies which proves to increase traffic for any website includes:
SEO can help to increase the traffic to any website. SEO Interlinking can help businesses to serve their users using links that navigate to your site.
Eye-catching landing page
Landing pages are one of the important components in every marketing campaign. An inbound marketer can find the tactics to attract visitors to any website easily. This is why “landing pages” are important.
A company can reach out to a diverse audience with help of paid promotional campaigns. Paid advertising is helpful to engage customers and promote your products through advertisements.
Social media is an excellent digital marketing channel to increase your brand’s recognition. A good social media presence will help you to increase your website traffic at ease.
One of the most widely used Digital Marketing strategies is email marketing. An email is the best way to communicate with customers. This works as a communication channel for customers to attract user attention.
What is white hat SEO?
White hat SEO is the popularly used SEO technique across the globe. The key factors in white hat SEO is content and HTML optimization. This technique can boost your web page rank longer than other methodologies.
What is grey hat SEO?
Grey hat SEO is just a mixture of both black hat and white hat techniques. This technique is helpful when you want to rank a web page from one to the other. However, the outcome is either a hit or a miss based on different criterias.
What is the difference between page sessions and page views?
A page session is when people visit your website every single time. A page views are nothing but when a user clicks one or more pages on your website.
What are the limitations of Online Marketing?
Intense Competition: Online marketing can be accessible and cost-effective to promote your brand awareness. But there is a huge competition prevailing in the market due to tw demand.
It can be overwhelming: You can get confused with the data and tools available in the market. It’s not easy, you need a lot of practice and experience to use it.
Complex Analytics: You have analytics for everything but plain data is not sufficient. You have to understand the proper ways of using it. In some cases, you may get stuck with metrics and lose money.
What are long-tail keywords?
A long-tail keyword is a phrase containing more than 4+ words to create search results more specific. Long-tail keywords will have low search traffic, but it can rank better than other keywords.
So, these are the questions are mostly asked in a digital marketing interview. In addition, these digital marketing interview questions and answers will support you to get that dream job in Digital Marketing.
Do you want to learn Digital Marketing?
Zuan Education is one of the best Digital Marketing training institutes in Chennai. Our training is ideal for those who would like to have a career in digital marketing. Candidates will get to know about all kinds of techniques and tactics in digital marketing through our live project training. We offer online and classroom training for candidates. We also provide job placement for freshers.