In the modern era, as there is a growing emergence of web applications and mobile applications, every company working in this field looks for an improvement.
In order to achieve that there are certain frameworks globally available like Angular, React, Meteor.
To meet the growing motive and requirements of the customers, there is a need to use updated frameworks, platforms, and technology.
In this blog, we are going to share the differences between the features, changes, and improvements related to Angular 6, Angular 7, Angular 8 and Angular 9.
Angular core concept
Major differences and improvements between Angular 6 vs Angular 7 vs Angular 8 vs Angular 9
Angular 6 Features
Angular 6 was released on May 4th, 2018. The Angular 6 highlights the Angular Command Line Interface (CLI), The Component Development KIT (CDK), Angular Material Package update and with new TypeScript version 2.7, it is easy to code with conditional type declarations, default declarations, and strict class initialization.
The Angular Elements package provides the ability to create an Angular component and then publish as a web component used in any HTML page
Service workers in Angular 6 came up with a new script file safety worker.js in the production bundle. This script file helps to unregister an existing service worker.
Major changes in Angular 6 are internationalization (i18n) features with runtime rendering and there is no requirement to build one application per locale.
Bazel optimizes your Angular compilation to rebuild the entire application for every change and allows you to archive fast.
ng add allows you to install and download new packages in your angular apps.
ng update helps to update and upgrade your packages. It helps you to upgrade from Angular 5 to Angular 6.
Tree shaking is a build optimization step which helps you to make your app smaller. It uses new injectable services to register a provider directly inside the @Injectable() decorator.
Some Major updates in Angular 6
- Typescript 2.7.x supports
- Improved decorator error messages
- Fix platform-detection example for Universal
- Added to supports of Native-Element
- Added Optional generic type for ElementRef
- Updates on NgModelChange
- Add type and hooks to directive def
- Enable size tracking of a minimal CLI render3 application
- Add canonical view query
- <ng-template> now becomes <template>
- Long-term support(LTE) added to Angular from v4
Angular 7 Features
Angular version 7 was released by Google in Oct 2018 with optimum features and significant changes like Angular Material, CLI prompts, Scrolling, Drag, and Virtual and Drop & Component Dev Kit (CDK)
In Angular 7, the command-line interface (CLI) prompts is updated to v7.0.2, When the user executes common commands like ng add @angular/material or ng new it will prompt users commands like ng add @angular/material automatic to help you discover features like routing or SCSS support.
Angular 7 added Angular Compatibility Compiler (ngcc). The angular compiler offers an 8-phase rotating ahead-of-time compilation(AOT) and many angular applications notice a massive reduction (95-99%) in bundle size.
The scrolling package includes loads and unloads items from the DOM which depends upon visible parts in the list, that gives faster experience to users having huge scrollable lists.
Drag & drop
The new @angular/cdk/drag-drop module provides options like free dragging, sorting within a list, transferring items between lists, animations and more.
Some Major updates in Angular 7
- Angular 7 now supporting to TypeScript 3.1
- Added a new ability to recover from malformed URLs
- Downloadable console for starting and running Angular projects on your local machine
- compiler-cli: update tsickle to 0.29.x
- Export defaultKeyValueDiffers to private API
Angular 8 Features
Comparing Angular 6 vs Angular 7 vs Angular 8. Finally, Angular 8 was released with ivy rendering which Angular team with updated angular core framework, Angular Material, and the Command Line Interface or CLI.
Ivy is an engine that produces smaller bundle sizes. But it’s not recommended to start using it in production.
Angular 8.0 supports CLI which provides one bundle for every web worker & they do it by writing code off the main thread.
Angular 8 supports dynamic EcmaScript and imports in router configuration by bringing the size of large files and lazily loading the files that are required.
Major features included in Angular 8
- AngularJS API Migration Improvements with $location service
- Updated Typescript to 3.4.x
- @angular/platform-webworker and@angular/platform-webworker-dynamic both the packages are deprecated
- @angular/http removed from the list of packages
- ng-build, ng-test, and ng-run are equipped to be extended by 3rd-party libraries and tools.Angular router backward compatibility
- Dart-sass for Sass files
Angular 9 Features
Angular 9 was released on the 7th of Feb 2020, with existing features. The highlight of this version is the default IVY compiler which forms the entire framework’s structure.
IVY as a Default Compiler
The default IVY compiler reduces the bundle size by 25-40 percent for better performance. This enables the developers to decrease the file size and makes it user-friendly. IVY checks the bindings within the templates of any application and then reports if any issues are acquired. This helps to detect any bugs in the development process.
More reliable ng-update
The ng update is the basic update to the CLI framework. This enables us to update any kind of information about migration.
The Phantom Template Variable Menace
The Phantom variables were not cited in the template’s related components in the previous version.
To build the phantom variables may threaten the applications.
In this version, a compiler error shows up, when a template variable is created.
Major updates in Angular 9
- Selector-less directives were already supported in the old version but were missing in the Ivy preview in Angular 8. This has now been added to Angular 9.
- The AOT builds will be noticeably faster ensuring a significant change in the compiler’s performance.
- With IVY we see an improvement in the build error. It gives less time for the builds to complete enabling all the error messages easier to read.
- The Angular framework in the new version uses unique techniques and tools to debug its applications by themselves.
- The deprecated versioned files option for service workers in the service worker asset group config has been removed.
Finally, we’ve returned to the end of the Angular version comparison.
The following table summarizes the difference between angular 6 and angular 7 and angular 8 and angular 9.
|Angular 6||Angular 7||Angular 8||Angular 9|
|Angular Element||CLI Prompts||Ivy Engine||Default Ivy in v9|
|Service worker||Virtual Scrolling||Web Workers||Phantom Template Variable Menace|
|Internationalization (i18n)||Drag and Drop||Lazy Loading||Dependency Injection Changes in Core|
|ng-update||Angular Do-Bootstrap||CLI workflow improvements||More reliable ng update|
|TypeScript 2.7 support||TypeScript 3.1 support||TypeScript 3.4 support||Typescript 3.7 support|
If you want to learn AngularJS Training Course, feel free to contact us! We can assure that we are best in what we do.
Enroll now and learn from professionals at ZUAN EDUCATION. Hurry up!