A report by The Economic Times dated February 28, 2019, says that almost 97,000 jobs in analytics and data science are vacant in India. Why are those job positions not yet filled? Lack of skilled workers is the reason for vacancies. Therefore, there is a good data science scope in India.
What does this News have to do with me? You have a new job opportunity in case you are searching for a job or want to switch from your present job. You can easily get data science jobs after taking up a data science course.
Further down, you will come to know about 8 things, namely,
- What is Data Science?
- Scope of Data Science in India
- Industries that Use Data Science
- Companies that Recruit Data Scientists
- Leading Data Scientists in India
- How to Become a Data Scientist?
- Number of Data Science Jobs that are Vacant
- Job Roles in Data Science
What is Data Science?
Data Science is a combination of mathematics, programming, statistics, and design. This combination is used to manage digital data collection.
Technically speaking, Data Science involves data inference, algorithm development, and technology to solve complex problems.
As a data scientist, you do research and analyze data to help companies grow by predicting growth, trends, and business insights from a large amount of data.
Scope of Data Science in India
Furthermore, Burman states that people in the field of data science use conventional tools, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, paving the way for fertile research.
He says that this research leads to having a deeper insight into the market micro-structure culled out from huge transactional data of customers.
Moreover, Burman points out to the awareness that is growing about Data Science and the rising demand and institutes that train people in data science.
Urgent Need for Data Science Professionals in India
India is second to the United States in recruiting data science professionals. Bengaluru is the topmost city in India to have more data science and analytics jobs. Delhi NCR and Mumbai follow.
As I am writing this post I can see 3127 Data Scientist jobs wanted in India on Naukri. Likewise, LinkedIn shows 2,000 + job vacancies for data science.
Interestingly, 97% of analytics jobs advertised in India are full-time based. 3% comprises of part-time, internship or contractual jobs. Therefore, Data Science skills are one that is most required in the 21st century.
Industries that Use Data Science
Scope of Data Science usage in India is spread across several industries. Sectors where Data Science is employed are,
- Traffic/Road Accidents
- Education and
Companies that Recruit Data Scientists
Well, which companies in India will recruit you in India after you get trained in Data Science. You have a definitive career path with Data Science in India.
Career in Data Science is offered in the following companies in India,
- AB InBev
- BRIDGEi2i Analytics Solutions
- Cartesian Consulting
- Envestnet Yodlee
- Publicis Sapient
- Tredence Inc.
- Wipro Ltd.
- ZS Associates
- Fractal Analytics
- Citrix and
Leading Data Scientists in India
Let’s begin with the top data scientists in India. They are,
- Joy Mustafi
- Rwitwika Bhattacharya
- Kiran R
- Dr. Pulak Ghosh
- Ravi Vijayaraghavan
- Dr. Sunita Sarawagi
- Praphul Chandra
- D J Patil
- Shailesh Kumar
- Ujjyaini Mitra
How to Become a Data Scientist?
I would propose five easy steps for you to kick start a career in Data Science. With the demand for data scientists on the rise you could,
- Do a certificate course in Data Science from a reputed professional institution
- Get familiar with various statistics or machine learning methodologies used in the industry. There are a lot of free statistics/data analytics/data mining courses available in Coursera, edX, MIT open, etc.
- Get familiar with programming languages like R and Python. Moreover, working knowledge of SQL would prove helpful during interviews.
- Read and understand the various business applications of Data Science.
- Participate in various Data Science competitions
- Do internships in Data Science companies
Number of Data Science Jobs that are Vacant
As mentioned above 97,000 Data Science jobs are vacant in India due to lack of skilled professionals. Now it is your chance to capitalize on the opportunity.
You have to properly get trained in Data Science skills and fill the skill gap that is created. Companies that have posted large openings for Data Science in 2019 are,
- Wells Fargo
- Dell International
- eClerx Services and
Job Roles in Data Science
What designations will you get in the Data Science field? Different job roles in the field of Data Science are,
- Data Scientist (Average pay per year is INR 8,43,764)
- Data Architect (Average pay per year is INR 2,341,633)
- Business Analyst (Average pay per year is INR 750,000)
- Data Administrator (Average pay per year is INR 959,626)
- Business Intelligence Manager (Average pay per year is INR 1,142,308)
- Data Analyst (Average pay per year is INR 2,73,257)
- Data Analytics/Manager (Average pay per year is INR 1,506,652)
Data Science involves studying of unstructured data and voluminous data to render better business decisions. It is a new development in computer science that keep evolving rapidly.
You can harness the wealth of opportunities provided by Data Science in India to get lucrative jobs.