However, becoming an expert or specialist in any field or industry is often a journey that begins with a burning passion and ends with thorough knowledge and skills in that particular area.
So, do you have the same burning desire within you to achieve your goal of becoming a Social Media Marketing expert? Then Keep reading to become an ideal one.
What is Social Media Marketing?
In simple words, Social media marketing (SMM) is a form of Internet marketing that utilizes every social networking website as its marketing tool/ social media tools.
The ultimate goal of Social Media Marketing is to deliver content that users will share with their social network to help a company increase brand exposure and broaden customer reach.
However, Social Media marketing also requires a set of skills like other professions.
For instance, to become a Social Media Marketing Expert or Specialist, you first need to understand social media platforms. Also, you need to understand how these social media channels work. Finally, you need to understand your target audience, their behaviors, their needs, their expectations, demography, their cultural values, and geography.
According to that, you need to creatively carve out a way to get their attention.
Why Social Media Marketing is Important?
Do you know? Currently, there are over 200 social networks available worldwide, along with a combined total number of users in billions.
Understanding and targeting these users/audience is a huge business opportunity.
As per the Social media statistics from 2019 reveals that there are around 3.2 billion social media users worldwide, and this number is growing rapidly.
Moreover, these users extensively use Social Networks or social media sites like Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, Tumblr, YouTube, Instagram.
Furthermore, to make you clearer about the power of these social networks and the importance of Social Media Marketing that offers for business are discussed below:
- Over 20 million Business websites have integrated with Facebook. (Source: Statista)
- 73% of Facebook users consistently check their feed 5-6 times daily basis. (Source: Statista)
- Every hour more than 5 million photos are uploaded on Instagram (Source: Statista)
- An average time spent by every individual on Social media is 2hours and 22 minutes. (Source: Hubspot.com)
- 73% of Marketers believe social media marketing is an effective one for their business. (Source: Hubspot.com)
- For all social media e-commerce traffic, Facebook has the highest conversion rate of 1.85%. (Source: Shopify)
- Brand awareness for business increases to 71% through Social media Marketing (Source: Hubspot.com)
How to Become a Social Media Marketing Expert?
In a nutshell — Coming to your question of how you can become an expert in Social Media. Let’s get started.
Let’s discuss the steps you need to take in your way and the skills you should acquire to become a Social Media Marketing Expert/Specialist.
But before getting into it, let’s first understand what does a Social Media Marketer Does? This will definitely help you understand your role and responsibilities as a Social Media Marketing Expert. Also, you will have a fair idea of what major Social Media Marketers do.
Work of a Social Media Marketing Expert:
Most of the Social Media Marketers utilize traditional marketing tenets and online media best practices to market their brands, products, services in order to:
- Elevate their online presence and drive traffic to the business website to enhance the visibility of a brand, product, services, or person.
- They use a combination of techniques and strategies such as content marketing, link building, social advertising, social media marketing, social sharing to implement business goals the best.
- They are experts in social media analytics to identify gaps and areas of improvement.
- They generally have a natural sense of understanding of new audiences’ behavior, identify existing audience demographics and grow the base to achieve the business objectives.
- They study their rivals and their social media marketing strategies to further develop a great relationship with the target audience and key influencers.
- To increase engagement, they apply a blended marketing approach. This includes earned, paid, and owned media outreach to attract prospects.
- Moreover, they keep track of the results produced and the success areas.
- Most of all, they will be on point with the current trends and practices. Thus, keeping their audience engaged and interact with them in a meaningful and educative way.
- In the desired metrics, they try to solve their target audience’s questions and queries up to their satisfaction.
Do you want to become an SMM expert? Start now with these simple steps listed below.
6 Successful Steps to Become a Social Media Marketing Expert:
To master Social Media Marketing, you don’t need to have a degree or diploma. There are possibilities to work in social media without a degree or diploma or any certification. But you must gain theoretical knowledge along with practical experience, which is most important to become an expert in Social media.
Most likely, aspiring Social Media Marketers should have significant education and experience to demonstrate themselves as a Social Media Marketing Specialist or Expert.
So, here are the 6 steps for you to follow to become a Social Media Marketing Expert.
Step 1: Educational Qualification
To become a Social Media Expert, first get a bachelor’s degree, because organizations most likely hire people having at least a bachelor’s degree.
Its an added advantage, if you have a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, English Literature, marketing, communications, or Journalism.
Step 2: Knowledge & Skills
Enhancing your knowledge and skills is the most important to become a Social Media Marketing Expert. This you can gain it by learning many popular blogs and social media channel blogs like AgoraPulse, HubSpot, Buffer, and Social Media Examiner.
These blogs are very helpful in understanding the trends, finding facts & figures and act as a great resource to understand using the platform for marketing.
For your advantage, below are the resources which you would find very useful to gain knowledge and insights about these social media channels.
- Facebook Marketing Blog
- LinkedIn Marketing Blog
- Twitter Marketing Blog
- Instagram Marketing Blog
- Pinterest Marketing Blog
Step 3: Certifications
Certifications, which will increase the opportunity to become a Social Media Marketing expert. Moreover, gaining certification is helpful to land in the desired job role. You can also enroll yourself in the Social Media Marketing Courses available from reputed social media marketing institutes. This would definitely increase the chances of a candidate to get a job.
Step 4: Industrial Experience
Industrial Experience and hands-on experience is the one that builds you as a Social Media Marketer. Hence, to become an expert in any field, you need to have relevant experience of a few years to implement industrial knowledge.
For this, you can first get a job as an intern in any medium-sized social media company to learn the fundamentals. This includes the art of marketing, your mind, your creativity, execution skills, and exhibit some results.
This is because there are a lot of self-taught Social Media Marketers who learned on their own and paved their paths to becoming an Expert in Social Media Marketing. Following their same path, you can also learn on your own and become a self-taught Social Media Marketing Expert.
Step 5: Share Your Thoughts
Try to share your thoughts, ideas, and experience online preferably with other social media marketers and give a name to a blog. So this can help people and other social media marketing Experts know about you and your work.
Step 6: Attend Relevant Conferences
If you have the aim of becoming a Social Media Marketing Expert, then don’t miss out to attend the conferences of social media marketing.
This helps you to get a few speaking opportunities so that you can share your thoughts and experiences there too. Obviously, following all this will help you establish yourself as a Social Media Marketing Expert.
Social Media Marketing Career Opportunities:
So, once you enhance your knowledge in social media marketing, there are numbers of Marketing Jobs that are taking the front seat in the Social Media industry. A few of them include Social Media Marketing Manager, Social Media Marketing Specialist, Social Media Marketing Executive, Paid Marketing Specialist.
According to payscale.com, a mid-career Social Media Marketing Manager with 5-9 years of experience earns an average salary of $62,089.
An experienced Social Media Marketing Manager with 10-19 years of experience earns an average salary of $68,493.
Social media is today quickly becoming one of the most essential aspects of digital marketing. So, why are you waiting for? Kick-start your journey in the dynamic field with these easy steps in this post to become a social media marketing expert.
Best wishes for your Future!